Monday, 19 March 2018

How to Apply to SNU (International Students)

So, you want to apply to SNU? If you've heard about universities in Seoul, you may already know that Seoul National University is the highest ranking University in Korea, followed by Yonsei and Korea University. But don't let that put you off. The application process is incredibly strict and competitive for Koreans, but if you're coming in through the international track, you won't be compared to the Korean students. Phew.

There are two ways you can enter as an international student here: Admissions Track 1 is for students whose parents are not citizens of Korea and have graduated High School (or equivalent). Admissions Track 2 is for students who may hold Korean citizenship but who completed all of their education (primary and secondary) outside of Korea. The majority of International students come through track 2, but since I have no familial links to Korea whatsoever I can give more accurate information about track one.

I highly recommend starting to gather documents and required information before the application period officially opens, in my experience nothing ever goes completely smoothly and if you encounter a problem with one document there will be time to find a solution. Also, if you're not living in Korea you will have to post everything since email copies are not accepted, so please please factor in time for that to arrive before the deadline! Information about deadlines and submission times varies every year but is easy to find on the SNU website.

The documents that you will need to prepare are as follows. Be aware that copies are only accepted for certain items, usually you will need to present the original. Also the list can vary between majors and nationalities, so the university may request extra documents... be warned.

1. First of all you should complete the online application, and pay the fee. Then you can print out the Application for Admission from the website.

2. Personal Statement and Study Plan - You can fill in this portion online, but you have to print it out and include it with your application. It can be written in either English or Korean and consists of three questions.

3. Letter of Recommendation (Counselor and teacher) - I know a few people who faced problems because of this. You can print out the forms online and give them to two of your teachers to fill in, but it must be in English or Korean (if it's a foreign language you must have it translated by an official government organisation). Also if your school didn't have any counselor, you are allowed to use a different teacher instead.

4. Official High School Transcript and Graduation Certificate (Or exam certificates) - if your school gives you transcripts when you graduate, lucky you! If your school doesn't (like mine...) don't panic, you can submit the exam certificates and send a statement by email to the admissions office explaining that your school doesn't provide them.

5. Passport Photocopy - It is possible to use other official documents to prove your nationality but really a passport is the safest and easiest option.

6. Both Parents' Passport Photocopy and Birth Certificate  - For international track 1 you must prove that your parents are not of Korean descent. In the case of a divorce of death, documents proving this must also be submitted.

7. *Additional* Portfolio/Record of Achievement - Some majors such as music or physical education might require some other record of your experience in the field. This information can be found on the individual major websites.

8. Proof of Language Proficiency - You need to prove that you have fluency in either English or Korean. Topik test level 3 or over, or TOEFL, TEPS or IELTS scores are other official proof of fluency are accepted. However, if you come from a country where the native language is English and your parents are of that nationality you do not need to prove fluency. You may be required to take a TEPS test after you arrive though.

There is also some kind of agreement document to sign and submit with your application, you can print this out once you have completed the online application. For the Admissions Track 2 you need to submit the same as above plus any documents regarding your entry and exit in Korea issued by the embassy or immigration offices. There is also an admissions guide available for download on the SNU website with more information regarding official documents and what is accepted, but it may not be updated for your admission semester until the admission opening date so check the dates carefully.

If you have any general questions regarding admissions or SNU feel free to leave a comment here or Email me:

You can also follow my Instagram for more about my daily life in Korea @Emily_Marysia

No comments:

Post a Comment