Friday, 4 September 2015

I'm in Korea!


Hey, yet again I have to apologise for being so terrible at keeping up with posts on my blog - despite promising to keep everybody updated... These past few weeks have been a bit of a whirlwind and I've been so swept up with it all that the thought of blogging hadn't even crossed my mind! This post may be a little long, but fingers crossed that more regular updates will follow if anybody is interested. Just in case this is all news to you, I'm currently living and working on Jeju island in South Korea. I'm in an international boarding school and assist in many areas of the academic and co-curricular life here at NLCS. This means not only do I get great experience working and living abroad, but I also have the chance to get involved with tonnes of new things and travel around while I'm at it.



This was taken by another Gap but it just shows the beauty of the island!



Oreo Patbingsu*-*
I won't do a day by day recount of what happened, I think the 'highlights' of the experience so far might be a little more interesting. I've settled in so well it feels like I've been on this island for a lot longer, but I still can't get over how beautiful the landscape is - though this is the Honeymoon island... the beaches are gorgeous and I had the chance to visit some amazing temples, as well as the lively city about half an hour away. It's not a huge island but it's full of strange museums and a whole heap of restaurants that I want to try!


Speaking of food, the Korean cuisine is one of the reasons I'm loving living over here so far. Of course I'd eaten instant ramen at home, but the authentic dishes here are mouth watering, and everyone seems delighted that I want to try things - even if the spice level is a little higher than I'm used to! Patbingsu is my new favourite dessert and it's becoming a regular outing with the other Gap students. Thankfully alongside this,  the school encourages involvement and I'm finding it much easier to get motivated and stay active - by picking up a lot of activities and sports I used to enjoy a lot. This way I feel less guilty about eating so much dessert...



Temple at Sanbangsan


While there isn't a great deal of nightlife and youth-orientated activities, our local club known as Monkey Beach is quite an interesting place to spend a Friday night. Waterslides, ball pits, giant skipping ropes and beer pong tournaments are all crazy enough when you're sober! Though if clubs aren't your thing, a night time paddle in the sea is an option seeings as the seas are so warm and clear (though wherever you are, there's bound to be huge bugs everywhere so that's a major downside!)

Aside from the travelling around, I'm having the time of my life, thanks to the wonderful staff and the lovely girls in my boarding house that I look after. Being a girl with bright blue eyes and blonde hair makes me stick out like a sore thumb in an island where foreigners are pretty uncommon. It also means the kids in school and strangers on the street are very surprised when I respond to whatever they're whispering about me in Korean! The girls are teaching me new words everyday and the conversation practice I get is invaluable. All in all, this whole experience was 110% worth the effort, and is something I know I'll remember for the rest of my life. It's only been a few weeks but I already don't want to come home!




Gorgeous Hyeopjae Beach
Please get in touch or leave a comment if you have any questions or just want to chat - I feel like I've not spoken to some of you for way too long and would love to hear from you! 

7 comments:

  1. You're so lucky to take part in this! Jeju Island looks amazing and that orea patbingsoo looks yum!

    Mary
    JOIN MY BTS GIVEAWAY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary, thanks for your comment! Yeah I feel really blessed for the opportunity^^ x

      Delete
  2. Jeju is such a beautiful place, you're so lucky to have the opportunity to go there! I bet the food is amazing! Great post~ Hope you're having a nice evening!
    Minae ♥ MinaekeiLatest Blog Post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Minae! It is so pretty here and you're right, the food is so good*-* x

      Delete
  3. Looks like such a beautiful place!! It kinda looks like a paradise. And the Oreo-food looks lovely too. :3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is, and these photos can't even capture the actual feeling of being here! Thank you so much for your comment Nea^^ x

      Delete
  4. PFT, WHO NEEDS NIGHTLIFE WHEN YOU'RE LIVING ON A HELLA GORGEOUS ROMANTIC ISLAND? So jealous that you get to live and work on Jeju! Was thinking of possibly teaching English in Korea (wouldn't that be great?) but at the same time, I'd also feel guilty for not maintaining the blog and such, hah *-* (well, that and being homesick)(BUT PROS: ALLLLLL THE KOREAN FOOD!...though, my spice tolerance is weak AF)

    Was gonna say "I hope you have a great time!" but you obviously are ;)

    ReplyDelete